Scabies is a condition of very itchy skin caused by tiny mites that burrow into your skin. See a picture of scabies.Scabies can affect people of all ages and from all incomes and social levels. Even people who keep themselves very clean can get scabies.
- Scabies is an itchy, highly contagious skin condition caused by an infestation by the itch mite Sarcoptes scabiei.
- Direct skin-to-skin contact is the mode of transmission.
- A severe and relentless itch is the predominant symptom of scabies.
- Sexual contact is the most common form of transmission among sexually active young people, and scabies has been considered by many to be asexually transmitted disease (STD).
- Scabies produces a skin rashcomposed of small red bumps andblisters and affects specific areas of the body.
- Treatment includes oral or topical scabicidal drugs.